Search The Demigod Guide

Tuesday, July 29, 2014

The Mist: "Illusions, Object, and the Mortal Barrier" - Demigod Powers and the Mist (Part Three of Four)

In this article, I'll be explaining the part which you probably know the most- the property where the Mist covers up monsters and make them blend into the mortal world and where demigods can go snap and cause illusions or make mortals think differently.

I'll start with some examples. Thalia was able to manipulate mortals into thinking that she, along with Percy Jackson and Annabeth Chase that they went to that academy during a demigod rescue mission. Also, Percy Jackson's pet hellhound, Mrs. O'Leary, was able to be seen as a poodle one time. Also, Alabaster C. Torrington, a son of Hecate, was able to form a solid Imperial gold sword using the Mist.

The Mist can cause illusions, yes. Like Thalia going snap. You know how I said mortals have auras too? Just not a bold, clear color? Well, people who can manipulate the Mist to some degree can change the aura waves. I know this sounds confusing, and trust me, its supposed to be. I'm having a hard time writing this down on paper. I mean, typing this down on Blogger. Well, think of it this way. We're all computers. And when you cause illusions or make people see or think something, you'r basically editing a Word document or something. Yeah, that's the easiest explanation I can come up with.

Also, the Mist can be used to create solid objects. In a story Son of Magic by Rick Riordan, Alabaster C. Torrington created an Imperial gold sword. Not an illusion, but the real deal. So far, only Hecate and their children are known to master the Mist to this depth. Even children of the Big Three cannot accomplish this, so far. There's another "object forming" of the Mist called Mist Forms. It's when a child of Hecate or the goddess herself create a body made, literally, of Mist.

Lastly, the Mist acts as a natural mortal barrier. It blocks mortals from seeing the "real deal." For example, hellhounds are seen as other dogs, but centaurs and satyrs have to use actual means of disguise. Also, this type of Mist is described in the Iliad. Once, Poseidon poured Mist over Achilles' eyes to protect Aeneas. Also, the passage below shows Athena removing the Mist.


"And I've removed the filter from your eyes,

which covered thew
you'll easilm before, so noy distinguish between gods and men."

Another story where Jason and the Argonauts are traveling to get the Golden Fleece, Hera covers them in Mist so they will not be seen. 

Well, this is it! Watch out for the final part on the Mist!

No comments:

Post a Comment